“Did you mean to extend this invitation to me?” I know—not exactly a professional response to an invitation to be a guest on someone’s show, but an honest question nonetheless. I responded to another invitation likewise the same week. (More on the other soon.) I mean, who am I? Certainly not an industry professional, nor have I published a book yet, though I’m working on a couple. But often it’s the lessons learned on the journey that prepare us for our destination, and my goal is to glorify God and encourage others along the way. Fear tries to imprison, but God invites us beyond ourselves to dependence on His craftsmanship. Sometimes it’s messy. The way is steep and sometimes we stumble, but God’s strength is made perfect in weakness, scripture says. Good thing.
Honored to share about faith, obedience, and my writing journey with Dr. Katherine-Hutchinson Hayes on her podcast. I pray it provokes all who struggle or strive to excel in God’s call, to step out of their comfort zone and walk it out in their skin.
Click below to listen to my guest interview on Dr. Katherine Hutchinson-Hayes’ podcast, Murder, Mystery and Mayhem Laced with Morality. Special announcements follow.
Dr. Katherine Hutchinson- Hayes is an award-winning author, podcaster, speaker, teacher and more. Check out her award-winning blog, her books, and podcast. Learn more about this accomplished multi-talented lady with a servant’s heart here.
A Special Announcement & Great Follow-up to the Podcast!)
Yes, this is the article that I put my head on the table and wept over to God for half an hour. — The one I almost called Mr. Smith and told him I quit on after I had the meltdown on the phone with friend and author Cherrilynn Bisbano. What a joy to receive the news and share it with Dr. James Spicer on his 92nd birthday! Dr. Spicer and my father-in-law were best friends, co-ministers of Chapel on the Hill in Oak Ridge, TN, and fellow Civil Rights activists. He is the source and main character for this article. (You can read Dr. Spicer’s commentary on my article in the Oak Ridger HERE.)
Honored to be a 2022 Selah Award finalist in the Articles in Print category for my piece The Integration of Oak Ridge featured in the Oak Ridger newspaper under city historian Mr. Ray Smith’s Historically Speaking column.
Grateful to Mr. Ray Smith for the opportunity to write for his Historically Speaking column in the Oak Ridger newspaper. Thank you to the Blue Ridge Conference Christian Writers Conference and the Selah Awards team for hosting this contest.
Grateful for God’s grace, patience and equipping in all He calls us to, and for all those who pray, invest in, and encourage me on this journey.
Click HERE to read the online version of the selah finalist, The Integration of Oak Ridge (Part one in my ongoing series.) Click here for Part 2 and Part 3
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. (Ephesians 2:10 ESV) Not that we are sufficiently qualified in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency and qualifications come from God. I am convinced and confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will [continue to] perfect and complete it until the day of Christ Jesus [the time of His return]. (Philippians 1:6 Amplified Bible)
Established nearly forty years ago, the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference is held in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains in NC. The BRMCWC Selah Awards (for published works) celebrates its 10th anniversary this year. The God-centered atmosphere, with an emphasis on hearing from God and ministering to the spiritual needs of the writer, makes BRMCWC feel more like church than school. Top writing industry experts provide an array of engaging classes to educate, encourage, and equip writers to fulfill their call. Additional benefits to attendees include opportunities to connect with publishers and agents, receive guidance from leaders in the writing world, forge and renew friendships, and rest and rejuvenate.
The 2022 Selah Awards and Foundations Contest winners are announced at the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference, which runs this year from Sunday May 29th – Thursday June 2nd, 2022.
There is still time to register for The Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference. This year’s BRMCWC Foundations Contest (for unpublished works) is open for entries until April 1st, 2022. Click here for Foundations Contest categories, rules, and guidelines.
UPCOMING: Interview with Civil Rights Icon Ambassador Andrew Young: I’m holding off until next week to share my interview with Civil Rights icon Ambassador Andrew Young. I hope to include a link to related content which I may have access to after his 90th birthday celebration. You may watch the live stream of Ambassador Young’s 90th Birthday Gala on Saturday, March 12th at 7 p.m. Eastern time here: AndrewYoung.org
CONGRATS TO ALL THE SELAH AWARDS FINALISTS! Listed below are my fellow finalists in the Articles in Print category with links to their work. Whitney Ward — Directly Affected, Focus on the Family’s Brio magazine Website: More Children's Picture Book: MORE Than Your Mountains Book: MORE Than My Mountains YouTube Channel: Mountain Climbers Julie Lavender — Homeschooling Multiple Ages in Stages, Homeschool Magazine, Indiana Press 365 Ways to Love Your Child: Turning Little Moments into Lasting Memories Children's Bible Stories for Bedtime: To Grow in Faith & Love Maureen Miller — My Homeless Teacher, Refresh magazine, Lighthouse Bible Studies Website: Penning Pansies
Thank you to my author friends Patricia Tiffany Morris, who called to ask if I planned to enter my article in the Selah Awards contest. (Three of my poems are featured in this book which is part of Patricia's Journaling Scribbles series: Creative Writing Journal: Faith Inspired Writing Prompts & Hope-Filled Poetry) And thank you to author Johnnie Alexander of Serious Writer's Writer's Chat (always so much to learn) who offered counsel and encouraged me to enter.
Still accepting participants for my Law Enforcement Series featuring interviews with officers from every state in the USA! Interested parties please contact me HERE.
SUBSCRIBE to my Tattoo it on Your Heart Newsletter for notifications of new blog posts, occasional offers and FREEBIES like this: CLICK HERE for Good News in a Sea of Bad News! FREE downloadable Gospel tract .
Billy Graham Evangelistic Association 24 hour Prayer Line: (888) 388-2683
Click HERE to read my testimony: A Mail Carrier’s Mistake Saved Her from Suicide on the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association website.
Don’t miss 14 year-old Angelina’s powerful 12 minute message below!
- Life Lessons from the Perspective of a Writer’s JourneyI’m not able to pull off perfect, so I decided I’d be real instead. No matter our call, when we shake off the shackles of perfectionism, and with God’s help pursue excellence for His glory and the edification of others, we find ourselves on a much more peaceful and productive path. (Working … Continue reading “Life Lessons from the Perspective of a Writer’s Journey”
- “‘Til I Drop Dead” (A Nurse’s Manifesto)“Just home from an extra shift extension because of so many nursing staff testing positive,” she said. “I have written to you about what it means to be a happy and fulfilled long term care nurse in case you are interested. Call it my manifesto to new and enduring nurses. Hope you … Continue reading ““‘Til I Drop Dead” (A Nurse’s Manifesto)”
- Piece of My HeartHi, my name is “Ridiculous” and sometimes it’s “Crazy,” and I am a P.O.T. (Parent of Teen). My support group is Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, and other mothers. My only escape is prayer. So I prayed, “God, give me children lest I die!” and He gave us children. Then, sometimes I … Continue reading “Piece of My Heart”
- May the Source Be with YouDarkness enveloped me. A chill gripped my chest, hope ebbed, and weariness set in. Obviously, I’d taken a turn off the favored road. I’d trudged the circuitous miserable miles to nowhere only to wind up stuck, deep in the mire, when someone called out to me. “Hey, do you want help? Do … Continue reading “May the Source Be with You”
- Hidden History from the Secret City RevealedMr. Keith McDaniel, author, teacher, documentary filmmaker, owner of Secret City Films, and Knoxville Film Festival Executive Director and Mr. Ray Smith, City of Oak, Tennessee Historian, have much in common and have worked together on several projects over the years combining their many shared skills and unique talents to bring history … Continue reading “Hidden History from the Secret City Revealed”
- Did Jesus Really Die on Good Friday and Other Fascinating QuestionsWe rob ourselves when we skim the surface of scripture rather than exert the effort to dig deeper for the treasures of truth embedded in God’s Word. Bible study leader and award-winning author Stephanie Pavlantos mined God’s Word to bring us a greater understanding of the intersection of Old Testament prophecies about … Continue reading “Did Jesus Really Die on Good Friday and Other Fascinating Questions”
© 2022 Rachael M Colby | Tattoo It On your Heart